Electronic Filing Manager
This is a program I wrote to manage my electronic filing system (which consists of a bunch of scanned PDF files sorted into folders.) It is written in Python and uses the Poppler library for displaying PDF files.
I like this simple approach as it makes it easy to access the files remotely via SSH or a web browser. The only drawback is that naming and moving the files into the correct folder can get a bit tedious from the command line. This program makes it easy to preview files, rename them, and move them into the appropriate folder.
It's worth pointing out that this is a quick and dirty utility to serve my own needs, so unless your needs are almost identical to mine you'll probably find this program has a number of shortcomings :-) But if nothing else it might serve as an example for other Python programmers wanting to use Poppler! This means you'll need both Python and python-poppler installed to use it.
- efilemgr.py (Python source, 17 kB) - released 2009-09-12
- Two file lists so you can rename the source file while checking the naming convention in the destination folder
- PDF files can be renamed while you're viewing them (no Windows-style file-in-use errors)
(which I might fix one day if they annoy me enough)
- Can't drag files into the other file list
- Can't drag folders around or create new ones
- Renaming conflicts with drag and drop, you have to drag from the left of the icon which is annoying