Commander Keen Dreams
- AudioT Format - used for storing sound and music data
- B800 Text - there are a couple of text screens in the main .EXE file (including the text displayed on the screen when you quit)
- EGAGraph Format - used for storing graphics, text and miscellaneous data
- Keen Dreams level Format - used for storing level maps
- Keen 4-6 Action Format Sprite's behaviors are governed by this
- Keen 4-6 Tileinfo Format Tile information are governed by this
- Softdisk Library Format - The start menu is in this format
- SLIB compression The title screen is compressed with this
Compression used in KeenDreams is complex; most of the 'registered' (Non shareware) executables are compressed using PKLite compression and demo versions have additional files or filenames. Uniquely, the game maps are compressed using Huffman Compression instead of Carmack compression, as they were made with an earlier version of TED5 (TED3).
There are no less than six versions of Keen Dreams available; these differ very little in actual gameplay, but markedly in file structure. Most of these are listed at [the Commander Keen Wiki] (They omit version 1.0 and the Id Anthology)
The main moddable version is version 1.13, which is not the latest version of the game. Notably it has less in-game help and text, requires the player to run a program from Gamer's Edge before playing and names its files differently from the later Keen 4-6 manner. It also uses a seperate file for its start screen, which is unusual.