This section is organised by category. If an editor supports more than one type of editing, such as level editing and graphics editing, it will be listed under both sections.
- KeenEdit (DOS) level editor developed by Jeremy Haubold in 1996
- KeenWright (DOS, WINE) level editor developed by Andrew Durdin in 2000
- Keen MakeOver (Win32) level editor developed by Geoff Sims, Oracle & Flaose in 2001
- iKeen (Win32, WINE) level editor developed by Xtraverse in 2004
- Mindbelt (Win32, WINE) level editor developed by CK Guy in 2007
- ModKeen/ModLatch (DOS, Source Code), LModKeen (Linux Port) for extracting and re-importing graphics
- Keengraph (DOS, Win32, WINE) for extracting and reimporting graphics
- KeenFX (DOS, Source Code) PC Speaker sound editor
- KeenWave (DOS, compiled Linux binary) program to import\export sounds and music, currently a beta, comes with an Adlib sound player.
- TSMusic allows Vorticons mods to have IMF music works with:
- AdPlug – standalone DOS program and a Winamp/XMMS plugin for playing Keen's IMF music.
- IMF Player (DOS, Source Code) as the name suggest: an IMF Player.
- IMF2WAV (DOS, Win32, Source Code) converts any IMF file to Wave format.
- IMF2MIDI (DOS, Win32) converts IMF songs into MIDI files.
- MIDI2IMF (CLI) converts MIDI songs into IMF files.
- DRO2MIDI (CLI, Source Code) improved program based on IMF2MIDI
- DRO2IMF (DOS) converts DRO files to IMF files.
- IMF Creator (CLI, Source Code) converts MIDI songs into IMF files.
- IMFCrush (CLI, Source Code) reduces the file size + converts IMF songs to a different rate and/or format.
Story / Game Text Editors
- Fin2Bmp (DOS), Linux Port now outdated thanks to graphics editors
- Startext (DOS) for making text patches
- The Patchotron (Win32) for editing some basic patches
- The Neural Stunner (Win32) for editing some basic patches
- CKPatch (DOS) for patching the executable files
- UNLZEXE (Win32, CLI) needed to decompress the executable files
- UNP (DOS) needed to decompress the executable files
Other editors and editing tools
- TileInfo (Win32, Source Code) Used to edit tile properties
- Tileset-Tool (Win32, WINE, Linux, Source Code) Used to edit tile properties and make tilesets for the Vorticons 2 patch
- Ktiledit (CLI) a simple tile(set) graphics editing program
- VorticonView (Win32, WINE) a level viewer for Keen Vorticons
Most of the above listed tools are written for MS-DOS or Windows based systems. The bracketed ancillary information show for which operating system (OS) these tools are meant to be. To run these applications one could use the native system they are based on. Alternatively there are ways of emulating the needed OS. For eg. MS-DOS based tools can be run via DOSBox.
For Linux users (Mac-OS?) the usability differs for each application. Those might be either compatible, portable or provide another ability to run them like compiling the source code on a Linux based system. The following footer texts explain the needed requirements:
- CLI: Tool is command line based.
- DOS: Tool is originally written for a MS-DOS environment and can be emulated by using DOSBox.
- Port: A Linux port for this Tool exists.
- Source Code: The source-code is available within the download package and can be compiled.
- Win32: Tool is native Windows tool. It might be compatible with WINE.
- WINE: Tool is a standalone application which just needs the WINE program starter to work properly.
- For details on the file formats used by the games, see the Commander Keen 1–3 section on the ModdingWiki.
- There is a list of patches that can be incorporated into mods to change the game's behavior.