Hey Grandy02, I just wanted to let you know that appreciate all the work that you've been putting into the Wiki lately (especially with getting the mods pages up-to-date)! -- Flaose (talk) 21:21, 26 May 2014 (GMT)
- Thanks, I'm glad to help. :-) I browsed through several of the more recent threads of the PCKF, but some still may be missing. Apparently the mods lists had not been maintained for a while. --Grandy02 (talk) 15:38, 27 May 2014 (GMT)
Hi Grandy02 - thanks so much for updating the mod infoboxes. I've given you administrator access to the wiki as a way of saying thanks, and to help if you need to make any other changes (e.g. editing locked pages, deleting/renaming certain pages, etc.) Keep up the good work! -- Malvineous (talk) 07:45, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
- Thank you! :-D I'm happy to help. By the way, those new pictorial lists look really cool. --Grandy02 (talk) 18:21, 25 February 2015 (UTC)
Mods vs. Guidelines
I noticed that you have created a page for The Earth Explodes.
However the status of the mod is "in development". As per those guidelines we prefer not to do this, as it ends up turning the wiki into a kind of blog platform as people continually update their mod pages as they are working on them.
I was talking to Malvineous the other day and we came to the conclusion that we prefer the wiki being a reference (not a blog) which is why the guidelines say that mod pages should only be created once they have been finished/released. This also acts as an incentive for people to hurry up and finish their mods!
You might ask what about the three announced mods on this very page. Well, due to the attention these pages already received (FitF with over 12k views) we decided to keep only these three as an exception to the rule. But just bear in mind that new pages for mods should only be created once they've been released.
- Hi Nisaba, thanks for the information. I haven't yet created a page for The Earth Explodes (though I planned to do so). But I thought it's worth mentioning due to its advanced state (at least more advanced than several of the abandoned mods). Would it be okay to have an entry under "Announced Upcoming Mods / Demos", but without a link for a separate page? --Grandy02 (talk) 05:54, 13 June 2019 (UTC)
- Hey Grandy02, thanks for your response.
- I'd like to stress that we should stick to the wiki guidelines. Out of my head I could name round about 20 Galaxy mods which are currently (more or less) in the making. To prevent turning the wiki into a kind of blog platform I highly recommend not add this and further unfinished/unreleased mods to the list. The right spot for work in progress projects is and should stay either our beloved pckf.com or keenmodding.org but not this very wiki.
- - Nisaba (talk) 07:51, 13 June 2019 (UTC)
Hey, there should be a section for Ultimate Commander Keen 4 and Keen 5 Deluxe Edition. These contain bugfixes, tweaks, new stuff, etc. Grandy02, you should create a separated page for this. But you decide. --Szemigi (talk) 16:55, 7 July 2019 (UTC)
- Thanks for your suggestion. I wouldn't want to create another separate (non-dynamic) list, but a section on the Galaxy Mods page would also be okay? In the revision history I saw that you actually added that section several months ago. I'll talk to Nisaba. --Grandy02 (talk) 18:11, 8 July 2019 (UTC)
Keen 4 Ultimate
- I added the maps of the new levels (points and ammo are still missing). But why "uninteresting"? Okay, it wouldn't be a "challenge", but sometimes people also write the whole article for their work (Roobar made the article for Planet Cloudius IX, for example). --Grandy02 (talk) 10:24, 21 July 2019 (UTC)
Eazyjay = Joriz::
Hi, Grandy02! I looked at that link that has one person saying that Eazyjay might be the same person as Joriz::. I found another post from a different guy that said the same thing. Thinking about the levels in both Karsaanpas and Keen Q, they feel rather similar (not to mention that they're both hard). The levels in Kopievan Keen Pack seem similar to the ones in Hiding from the Sky as well. I think this thought may be true; I went and noted their current names in the two levelpacks, just to let you know. Quinton (talk) 20:55, 11 August 2019 (UTC)
- As a side note, I've looked through some old, archived PCKF topics and saw the name "Forge315" a few times. Do you think this might be same person as Forge by any chance? Quinton (talk) 23:57, 11 August 2019 (UTC)
- Hi Quillax, thanks for your research. Also note the MSN info in the phpBB 2 profile of Joriz. It would make sense that the younger brother created the Kopievan Keen Pack since the older one was already busy with the mod that eventually became Karsaanpas. Unfortunately, the two relevant CKN issues contradict each other and the remaining PCKF posts lack an explicit mention of the authorship. Interestingly, the younger brother's name is part of "Karsaanpas", while aanpassen is Dutch for "to adjust, to adapt". I guess Eazyjay's brother made some adjustments before the level pack was released, both "karsaanpas" and "Kopie van KEEN1" were probably just the names of the folders they worked with.
- Is it confirmed that Karz is the Captainkeen from the PCKF, active from 2012 to 2014? In a 2004 thread, Ezjay wrote that "CaptainKeen" is his brother's former name and CaptainKeen a.k.a. Karz himself stated that he dislikes his current username and requested it to be changed to Karz (which never happened). Of course, it's possible that he changed his mind at a later point.
- Indeed, Forge is Forge315. He created a new account at some point, and later another account called JosephBurke (his real name), see CKN issue 26, section 4.14 (I have neither of the two threads). In October 2008, he posted two times in the current PCKF under the name Forge314. --Grandy02 (talk) 10:15, 12 August 2019 (UTC)
- Wow, you're really good at this research stuff, Grandy02! Yeah, it's too bad that PCKF thread for the Kopievan Keen Pack has lost some posts that could be really helpful for us. Regarding whether Karz is the Captainkeen seen from 2012 to 2014, you can find the confirmation in the topic for his Keen 1 levelpack (look at the last sentence in Captainkeen's second post). Maybe, if possible, we could send an e-mail to Joriz:: or Captainkeen about the authorship for the two Keen 1 levelpacks? Quinton (talk) 16:52, 13 August 2019 (UTC)
- Ah, thanks, apparently he eventually changed his opinion about the name. I only typed "Karz" into the search box and there were no relevant results (for the 2010s). I should have checked for mentions of his mod, too. Anyway, I sent a mail to Joriz, at least it didn't bounce back. --Grandy02 (talk) 14:26, 14 August 2019 (UTC)
Even MORE levels from shikadi?
I was looking at the files in the normal version of shikadi's 3rd Levelpack, and I found three levels that aren't for Keen 3 (one is for Keen 1, while two are for Keen 2). Opening them with Mindbelt, the Keen 1 level looks like a bunch of gibberish (opening it with Keen 2 and 3 graphics still makes it look unplayable), but the Keen 2 levels look completely playable. What do you think should we do with these? Quinton (talk) 21:54, 15 August 2019 (UTC)
- Nice find. The Keen 1 level is from A Christmas Mod (just had to search for "2007-12" on the Vorticon Mods page). If the Keen 2 levels are not taken from a previous levelpack, they should have a separate page. I've uploaded a separate ZIP file with only the Keen 2 levels. Maybe shikadi also intended to create a Keen 2 levelpack. Not sure about the page title, though. Maybe "shikadi's 3rd Levelpack (Keen 2)"? --Grandy02 (talk) 16:22, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- I looked through most of the Keen 2 mods and levelpacks, and they seem to be new levels. I was thinking of calling it "shikadi's Keen 2 Levelpack" or "shikadi's Keen 2 Levels", but "shikadi's 3rd Levelpack (Keen 2)" sounds good as well, as they were released along with those Keen 3 levels. Quinton (talk) 23:29, 16 August 2019 (UTC)
- I added it under the name "shikadi's 3rd Levelpack (Keen 2)", but feel free to change it. --Grandy02 (talk) 10:50, 18 August 2019 (UTC)
- Do you think my edit to shikadi's 3rd Levelpack is okay? --Grandy02 (talk) 18:11, 21 August 2019 (UTC)