Keen 2 Bugs
This page lists all the bugs, odd behaviors and unexpected actions that have been discovered in Keen 2.
Shoot through the roof
See the Keen 1 F8 Crash bug, which applies to Keen 2 as well, in version 1.0.
See the Keen 1 Extra levels bug, which applies to Keen 2 as well.
The Vorticon Mothership (the world map) has text on written in Standard Galactic Alphabet to indicate which levels the player will be entering. Unfortunately, the levels for Moscow and Rome must have been mixed up during the game's development, as entering the level marked as Rome actually loads the Moscow level, and entering the level marked as Moscow loads the Rome level.
Steps to reproduce:
- Go to the top of the world map
- Enter the level marked as "Rome"
- Observe that the picture near the Tantalus ray is of Saint Basil's Cathedral in the Moscow Red Square
- Enter the level marked as "Moscow"
- Observe the Tantalus picture is of the Roman Colosseum
Keen can leave Rome's Tantalus Ray still active if he goes as far right as possible at the beginning, and hopping up the little hole. This is not actually a bug, but leaves the player in a situation where they cannot complete the game.
It is also possible to do this and win the game by moving up and right at the beginning and approaching the Tantalus from the right. If the player touches the purple Tantalus spark but does not shoot it then the city will be marked as saved and the game can be won. Otherwise, as in the above example, the game will be unbeatable.
Youths with Talent
When there is a group of Youths running around in a small room, sometimes one or two of them can actually jump right through walls. This bug is most common in Home A in the room with the five Stuffed Toy Vorticons and seven Youths.
In the Moscow Tantalus Center, there is a corner missing off a block. See the picture. Look to the right of Keen, and you will not see a black line where there should be one!
Scrub Has the Key
By exploiting an oversight in the retraction mechanism - being Keen and the approximate centre of a door's collision - of doors aboard the Vorticon Mothership, Keen can in certain circumstances penetrate far enough "into" a door as to trigger its unlock without the use of a keycard. Scrubs (particularly those found in Weaponry A) can be of particular use in replicating this phenomena, as their ability to "push" Keen is stronger than that of a locked door to repel him.
Steps to reproduce:
- "Free" multiple Scrubs from the Green Keycard room by collecting the cola cans beneath it
- Collect further cans, thus allowing the Scrubs to travel to hallway housing the level's exit
- Race to the Yellow Door before the Scrub party arrive
- The Scrubs and the doors themselves will bounce you rapidly between the two, ultimately pushing you "into" the Yellow Door, thus opening it
- Enjoy your well-deserved level completion