Commander Keen Episode Null, aka. XkyKeen 2 is a Keen 2 mod by Xkylyr Rauh. Its events occur immediately after Episode X and Episode Y. This mod was a long-term project started March 18th, 2003, and completed March 11th, 2004.
- Graphics: custom graphics by Xkylyr Rauh
- Levels: 16 levels
- Tools used (incomplete list): ModKeen, CKPatch
Keen parked the Bean-with-Bacon Megarocket on a small but scenic planet and sat down on the shore, soaking in the peaceful sight. Before long, an oddly-shaped craft hummed into view over the horizon. It halted just off-shore from Keen, and a small pod deployed, silently hovering toward him. A creature resembling a humanoid seal with overalls and an enlongated snout approached him with a friendly gesture.
The creature identified itself as a Narln, and explained that the Narln had been allies with the Vorticons before the Grand Intellect took control of them. The Grand Intellect's control over the Vorticons had decimated the Narln home-world. The Vorticons, thoughts clouded by the mind control belts, had been merciless in their methods, enslaving the peaceful Narln and forcing them to build the Grand Intellect's ships and robots. Keen had stopped the Mangling Machine just moments after completion of the Grand Intellect's greatest device yet--a deadly ship that would be difficult to board without help. Fortunately, the Narln kept the plans.
After repairing their cities and rebuilding their lives, the Narln knew that the Grand Intellect had to be stopped at all costs--they designed a ship to prepare Keen for the dangers ahead! The Narln before Keen extended his flipper and formally invited Keen aboard the ship. Keen knew that the hopes and dreams of the Narln were laid on his shoulders, so he accepted their challenge and stepped into the pod...
Information on the Narlns Ship
Although the Narln are friendly, they didn't invite Keen on their ship just to chat--they are training him to deal with the threat of McMire's ship. They can be easily stunned with a single Neural Stunner shot. However, there are some Narlns in Stealth Gear, who shoot back and are more resilient.
Keen has to shoot the Targets to open the path to each level's exit. Some parts of levels are not necessary to complete them; these areas are marked with a helmet symbol.
- The wall-crawling tubs of Narln-feed can be stood upon. If a tub of Narln-feed is crawling DOWN a wall, Keen will not be able to jump very high off it.
- Like Vorticons, Narlns will not jump in the dark; but Keen will never need the lights off to complete a level.
- The translucent Kazzyts are fast, but will only stun Keen, not kill him.
- All signs next to switches indicate what position they should be in when the level is completed. Keen may have to flip them once or twice in the process.
During his stay on the Narln ship, Keen is tested on the following skills:
- Jumping: basic platform hopping.
- Pogoing: gauging jumps via pogo.
- Hunting: collecting all points.
- Intuition: game mechanics and tricks.
- Enemies: dispatching foes.
- Cunning: overcoming a situation.
- Stealth: ammoless enemy evasion.
- Final: the all-inclusive final test.
KazzytVorticon Youth replacement.
NarlnVorticon Grunt (yellow) replacement.
Narln (stealth gear)Vorticon Elite replacement.
Narln Feed TubScrub replacement.
Security DroneGuard Robot replacement.
Spoiler Warning! This shows the whole levels.